As we get older, obviously we change – our musculature, our desires and our energy. We tend to get lazier than when younger. Though I think this is a society habit rather than an age habit. Here are some tips to maintain health and energy as we mature.
1) You lose muscle tone as you age, take up weight training, if you have never done it before – take advice and start slowly – but build back your muscle tone. You can easily do weight training into your 70’s and 80’s. Keep your body from falling literally down.
2) Get your weight down. If you are overweight, be brutal with yourself, get your weight down, slim down, don’t carry that extra weight. When you were younger your body could take more punishment – be gracious with your frame and body now. Allow it space. So eat lean. Allow your heart to work less, be kind to your veins and arteries. Take away the physical stress on your organs. Get the weight off your bones and joints. Improve your muscle tone but avoid the fat.
3) Get your blood pressure under control. Heart attacks are lethal and have no warning signs – except blood pressure. You can die at 40 or 80 of a heart attack, and their is no warning. Check your blood pressure, get it within a healthy range. But unless critical – try to avoid drugs – use exercise diet and nutrition.
4) Eat less and eat healthier – your body and its systems don’t process food as well as at twenty – give them leeway, treat them kindly. Moderation in all things. Cut out the obvious fat and sodium monsters.
5) Take vitamins. Vitamins and mineral tablets may not do much if your are slim and trim and on a healthy diet. But your body needs help in procuring a lot of things it had no problem with at twenty five Take a multivitamin – it wont hurt. Ideally a premium one ( that is one that works as a food and is not just artificial vitamins in starch and sugar) One of the best is Nutrilite brand
6) For health – think nutrition first before prescription drugs. Prescription drugs are always a problem. They are emergency treatment- not lifestyle treatment. Glucosomine for joints, omega 3 for immune system and healthy heart. Garlic for cleansing and heart health. Ginseng for energy (be careful with good ginseng its quite the booster).Coenzyme Q10 for energy replacement.
However with all supplements, please consult a knowledgeable health professional, who knows your lifestyle and body type.
7) Produce more joy than worry in your life. Make plans. Think you’re old? Hey you could be dead tomorrow – or you could have another 50 years (your life so far, over again) Set a goal, get a desire, make plans. You are always happier on the way to a desire. It may be time to retire from the job – but life is rich and omnipresent, always – get involved in your life.Stay involved. It only comes round once.